I'll Fly Away...

Saturday, July 15, 2017

For the last few years as I've watched some of my best friends leave Wallace and head to new places, one of my friends has been telling me it's my turn to spread my wings and fly off to my next professional landing spot. We even have a little wing-flappy thing we do with our arms...and I've always managed to come up with excuses from A to Z as to why it just wasn't the right time.

For instance, last year when my trees were uprooted and two of my favorites left Wallace, I thought that was a sign from above that it was time for me to go ahead and move along. And then I decided that instead, I should definitely stay for the first year of a new principal to help "my people," my work family. Ultimately, that's exactly what I did (including the parts where I applied for a District Instructional Coach job in June and withdrew my application the next day. I did the same thing in December.). I was way too fickle...maybe even too loyal if there is such a thing.

I won't bore you with the details of my stories (because I really probably have enough material to write a novel!), but last year was the single most difficult year of my professional life. Change is tough, and even though I have been through tons of "tough change" experiences in my lifetime, last year truly got the best of me. I felt defeated before I even got out of bed most days.

All of this is to say that when you put your mind to something...I mean really put your mind to something, anything is possible! On Monday, I will start a new job in a new position in a new district for the first time in eleven years! Eleven years. For me, that's a long time, and I am so thankful for this new opportunity and I feel very blessed {insert the wing-flappy thing}!

A friend sent this to me a couple of days ago...


...and the way it applies to my life is levels and levels deep. 

Monday cannot get here fast enough. I am ready to love my work again, ready to be impactful again, and ready to be challenged again. I'm leaving behind some amazing friendships that will last a lifetime, and I am chomping at the bit to work with some truly talented leaders and teachers! 

I'm going to be the Secondary Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator in Luling, Texas. Home of the Watermelon Thump (seed spitting, Thump queens, and all), home of the Eagles!! Time to fly. 

More soon...

Love y'all. 

PS - If you want to hear something amazing, Google I'll Fly Away by Keith Urban; if you want to watch something hilarious and fantastic, Google James Corden with Bruno Mars...you're welcome. :)

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs