Where I'm From

Friday, June 30, 2017

Easy answer? Brownfield. But there is so much more!

Yesterday, I attended the grand finale of Texas State University's Central Texas Writing Project. My friend Mandy is the Co-Director of the institute, and my friend and co-worker Artie was accepted to participate in the project this summer. These two women? I love and admire them with my whole entire heart. They are amazing teachers and they have beautiful souls.

Artie presented a lesson to the group focusing on a poem by George Ella Lyon - "Where I'm From." It was a lesson we'd worked on together in May, and at the time, I had full intentions of writing my own imitation of the poem just for grins. But I was stuck, and I couldn't do it. Until yesterday. Artie's guidance was exactly what I needed! Here's my third fourth fifth draft...

----------

I am from milk toast,
from Muskogee and Marjorie Marie.
I am from dust storms - haboobs.
(Nature's free version of
microdermabrasion each Spring.)
I am from tumbleweeds and
the giant Magnolia tree
whose long, inviting limbs
led the path to beautiful blossoms
which, once retrieved, would float fragrantly in a crystal dish
on my granny's coffee table.

I am from braces, bad perms, and bottle-thick glasses,
     from Sam and Hoja.
I'm nearly from the Turtle clan
     and wholly from the Creek Nation,
from "Please join hands as we pray."
I'm from "Go now in peace, never be afraid,"
     from "Holy, holy, holy, Lord - God almighty,"
     and a well-worn and cherished Bible.

I am from Oklahoma, then Texas,
Indian fry bread, then chicken fried steak.
From my dad's days in rehab,
     cherishing each year's shiny, new chip,
Boomer and Sooner, then Red Raiders and Wreck 'Em,
South Richmond to New Castle,
     the Serenity Prayer.

Whether at Montesoma or at brunch,
my matriarchs sat in rockers on wooden porches,
laughing until their eyes leaked,
soulfully sifting through memories
of their younger years.
I watched them closely -
Listened intently to their stories.
I pray for my girls to have those moments,
reminiscing and laughing - years from now,
following in the footsteps of
my grandmothers.
Four sweet souls -
with so much unknown ground in common.

----------

So that's my poem. And maybe more about me than I've ever shared - in an obscure way.

Enough of the serious. Here's something else that happened today that was one of those moments of awesome that you can't plan or replicate but you can definitely appreciate. Ready?

Big Box Office Supply Store Dude: M'am, is there anything I can help you find? 

Me: Yes, I'm looking for whiteout. 

Big Box Office Supply Store Dude: Oh, yeah. We have that. But sometimes it hides. 

Me: {the laughing emoji and then the wide-eyed emoji when I realized he thought I was laughing at him}

#TrueStory

Thanks, Big Box Office Supply Store Dude, for unintentionally humoring me!!

That's all for now guys. Love ya!

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs