New Obsessions

Friday, January 8, 2016

For years, cleaning my sink has been my therapeutic style of decompressing. Although I used to prefer Bar Keeper's Friend and the always wonderfully gelatinous Soft Scrub with Bleach, I've recently transitioned to essential oils, vinegar, baking soda, and Thieves Household Cleaner (all in the name of how many chemicals we inhale on a daily basis). Really, there are few things that make me happier than a sparkling clean sink. I learned about this from the Fly Lady and it really made sense to me.

Please don't judge my politics, but I was completely flattered (in a bizarre way) when I found out Laura Bush had the same obsession. Give me a break - she was a 2nd grade teacher and a librarian - how can you not love her? As a teacher, I can't help but love her and her passion for children and education.

Fast-forward a couple of decades, and welcome to my world today...El Niño.

With two active daughters, two wild fur kids, and a spring, summer, and winter with more rain than normal, my obsession has suddenly and swiftly changed lanes.

It's the Friday after the first week of the 2nd semester. I'm worn smooth out and so are the human girls (although they'd never admit it). Collectively, we've had a long week.

There were a few times today when I felt like I was having to concentrate on keeping my eyes open and my mind on the task at hand, and I wasn't even working with kids this week! I can only imagine how the teachers (and kids) are feeling!!

With that in mind, I have to tell you something.

All I wanted to do when I got home today was vacuum.

And guess what?

I vacuumed my whole house.

Twice!!

And then I used the Bissel steam machine on all the spots that smell like dog that have arisen in the last two weeks.

I feel so much better now. Muddy paw prints are gone. Muddy kid foot prints are gone.

That slightly-less-than-dogs-rule-this-house smell is starting to emerge, meaning it's starting to feel (aka smell) good again.

Once my carpets were clean(er), I instantly felt better.

That's the power of El Niño, y'all.


No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs