P.O.T.U.S.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

POTUS - aka The American President.

The American President is my 4th most favorite movie ever. Ever. I'm a hopeless romantic, and if you add anything even slightly politically compelling to that, I'm hooked, and I have been since 1995 (or 1974 - whatever).

Pretty sure I watched with my best friends on opening night from the front row of the Cinnemark in Lubbock ( by "The Mall"), awkwardly craning my neck because I didn't plan ahead, and probably wearing overalls with a nifty chest pocket to hold my Sweetarts (#dork). I may or may not be watching it while I'm writing this, although instead of my besties, I'm watching with my four-legged fur kids tonight (the humor is lost on them, but not on me), the overalls have been replaced with PJs, the sweetarts with wine, and the front row is my comfy, cozy couch.

I just realized that minus:
-- widower status
-- ISIS, and
-- second-term reelection,
most of the undertones of the movie still ring true.

Gun control and crime control remain an issue. Global warming and energy emissions are still an issue (thank you, Volkswagen). We even have a laughable, slimy, repugnant, conservative character who is still an issue!

In 1995, Michael J. Fox wasn't suffering from Parkinson's yet, the Pentagon hadn't yet been damaged by a plane, the Twin Towers were still standing, and Chief Justice Rehnquist was still with us. I was taking a class called "Welcome to the World Wide Web (true story)," and cell phones still flipped and weren't personified as "smart." JFK, Jr. was still alive, and all of this combined is probably why I wanted to lobby in the name of education (straight out of college, not a foot stepped into a single classroom of my own, no knowledge of the real issues at hand). I was ready to change things I didn't even know about!

If you've read the blog for awhile, you know I'm a news junkie. You also probably know anxiety is my nemesis.

The things going on in our world today are so upsetting to me. I am definitely aligned with the philosophy of making the most of each and every day, and I won't try to pretend that the events during the last few months haven't created a new rumbling of anxiety in me.

As things hit closer to home, they become too close for comfort. I used to talk with the girls about the things they would see on the news because I truly believe/d  it helped them process some of the major events that have happened throughout the world during their lifetimes.

The closer things get to home though, the fewer answers I have for them, and I think that's what scares me the most. I'm a firm believer that I can't single-handedly protect my family from all of the ugliness in this world, but I do like feeling that I am confident and competent enough to talk through almost all current events with the girls. Lately I've found that hasn't entirely been the case. It's frustrating at best because I want them to know they're safe.

Last weekend, we spent a night in Dallas at a hotel filled with Christmas joy, lights, Nutcrackers, and wonder. I think the girls had a great time, and I did as well, but all I could think about was keeping them safe and trying to avoid feeling vulnerable in a crowded area.

Crowded areas are usually my downfall.

But I did get some adorable pictures of them!!




And my Christmas Spirit is how I am managing my anxiety about our world. It's the most wonderful time of the year, and I'm trying so hard not to let current events get the best of me.


No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs