224/365

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Slowly but surely, my room, and in turn my year, are coming together.

The "Change" concept from David Bowie is still in place (sort of), but in an entirely different way now. I feel like I'm to the point where I'm transitioning from DB to Stevie Nicks.

I'm going from fear of the unknown (DB) to a comfortable, familiar place (SN) - it feels good.

Stevie has been the theme song for for all of the major changes I've experienced in my adult life. Marriage. Babies. Beginning teaching. Divorce. New home. Healing from everything that goes along with divorce. Getting rid of the dangerous parts of my previous years and committing to be better to my girls than I even knew was possible. Watching the girls passing through each grade level and loving school the whole time. Friendships lost, friendships gained. Loving every bit of raising my girls in a small town. Leaving the classroom. Regaining my shattered confidence. Gaining Mae. A big transition to a new role last year. Losing Browning. Preparing for a great school year. Dealing with the not-so-subtle signs of puberty. You get the idea, right?

The other really cool thing about Stevie Nicks is that if you are so inclined to find her on your Pandora or iTunes Radio station, you are instantly swept back into the best parts of your childhood (unless you were born closer to the 90s than the 80s...and if you were born in the 60s or 70s, you know exactly what I mean). I don't have too many of those ("Best Parts of Childhood"), but there is truly something about Fleetwood Mac that makes me remember the really good parts of growing up!

Riding without consequence on a freeway in the front seat of the car, holding onto the headrest instead of being strapped into a car seat (ages 2-4). Riding with your friends and cousins in the back of a truck. Popping your own fireworks on July 4 with no adult supervision, catching your neighbor's giant tree on fire in the process, and figuring out how to attach multiple water hoses together to reach all the way across the street to extinguish said fire to avoid getting in trouble (and the accompanying feeling of success when the tree goes from flaming to merely smoking - without receiving a trophy). Letting your neighbor put tobacco {from the cigarette he/she is currently smoking, but they chain lit their cig before offering said tobacco} underneath the band aid covering your most recent bee sting to help ease the pain. Fearlessly making crawdad houses out of the rocks on the river bank and finding occupants for said house. Fearfully and cautiously walking around at church camp in constant fear of climbing, leaping, unpredictable tarantulas. Climbing inside and all the way to the top of really tall magnolia trees without any helicopter parents, insurance liability calculations or fear of legal retaliation while knowing the best part of it would be picking a deliciously scented flower from the top and bringing it back down to earth to float in a crystal bowl of fresh water. Giving pumps on your bike, playing chicken on a busy street, jumping from the roof to the trampoline, and sneaking...both "out" and "on top of the roof" with your best friend just to get a better view of life.

Sound familiar?

So my room is a metaphor for all the change happening right now, and when I think back to those grand memories from childhood, I am reminded that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I can only show you one corner of my office right now because only one corner of my office is presentable; however, the others are so close to being presentable that I think I might be done tomorrow. Woo hoo - that leaves me with all of next week to be free for helping teachers without any other worries!


Tomorrow morning I will train my last group of 8th grade WEB Leaders. This is my 8th year of working with 8th grade leaders and incoming 6th graders, and it is consistently one of the most fulfilling things I get to do at school. Definitely bittersweet, but I think it's time to turn the honor over to someone new.

Alright, it's bedtime for moi.

Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a quick read for you.

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs