221/365 - David Bowie Was on to Something

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-changes!

Tomorrow is our first official professional development day for the new school year, and I am so excited to see everyone - lots of old favorites, and lots of new faces. Lots of change.

I've been working really hard for the last three days to get my room in shape for the year. Last year I wasn't really sure what direction I wanted to go or what would be most helpful to our teachers, and this year I feel like I am much better in tune with what will be most helpful! So at some point between May and June, I decided what I wanted my office to look like.

Speaking of changes, our entire front office received a much needed upgrade! It looked the same way for at least 12 years, and some of our upgrades were to accommodate the safety of everyone in our building.

This also meant that my principal and assistant principals relocated to my office for the summer. Now, I LOVED this because we were able to accomplish so much thanks to our proximity, and it is always nice to have such wonderful company. However, two weeks ago, my office looked like this.


That round table in the back used to be my desk.

Our front office was officially finished last week (it's beautiful!) and my room was restored to normal-ish. Except for...remember those plans I'd settled on in May/June?

I started implementing them Friday afternoon and I found so many books that were:
a) older than any kid in our school
b) before any of the new TEKS
c) published over 15 years ago
d) samples from publishers for new adoptions
e) published when I was in either high school or college

Needless to say, there was some major updating to be done.


As a book lover, it feels really weird to get rid of books, but I know they will be relocated to a place where they will be beneficial.

After working all of Saturday afternoon and most of today, I can say that I am slowly but surely making progress.

I've curated a small professional library. I was not born to do this, and I am pretty sure my categorization is sporadic and equivalent to what a kindergartner would do, but it definitely looks better than it did before!


Disclaimer - I purposefully cropped this picture so you don't have to tolerate all the junk that is still on the floor right now!

Here's our campus theme for the year...


This is based off of my new favorite book - Ready-to-Use Resources for Mindsets in the Classroom.

And finally, as of now, this is my most favorite part of my room: love notes from previous students. Love these kids to pieces!


Can't wait to show you the whole entire finished product, and I can't wait to be finished with the whole entire finished product!

Thank you, David Bowie, for creating an ear worm with your song (Cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-changes!) - it has truly carried me through the summer and helped me embrace change, which is not an easy thing for me to accept. Also, the only words I know of the song are Cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-changes (cha-cha-cha-changes), so if this song is about sadness or drugs or breakups or natural disasters or recession or Bruce Jenner situations, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd just let me take those 7 to 11 words at face value this time around...they've been my crutch, and I really don't want that crutch yanked away from me right now. Please, and thank you.

As a creature of habit, I am so ready to get back into a routine...let's do this!

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs