91/365 - I Need a Break

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Somewhere between yesterday and today, we reached the quarter mark of the #365tolife endeavor.

Yay!

This week has been spent deep in the throes of testing.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Our kids have been tested to death, and they handled it with oodles of grace. Super proud of them for their dedication to learning and progress.

For the course of the last week, my classroom was turned from a learning environment into a testing environment, and I reeeaaaalllly look forward to restoring it to a learning place tomorrow morning!

We can all thank Pearson for the culture of testing...don't even get me started. And for the record, this picture was taken after ALL secure testing materials were out of my room and in the safe hands of the district guardians. The contents of these boxes? Lots and lots of headphones.


This year, Pearson mainstreamed Computer-Based Testing for a specific demographic of students, and I have to say I am impressed with how the kids managed this technology. It's their turf: they are 21st century kids who are used to instant gratification and who don't know life without a computer in their back pocket.

Today I realized how ready I was for the week to end, and it's only Wednesday (whaaaaat?). I think every kid and every teacher who tested or altered their normal schedule this week, all in order to test, deserve the pink sign right about now!


At my school today, we finished round 1 of STAAR, all of TELPAS, and all of G/T testing. I was on the brink of tears when I went to pick up the girls. The sweet lady who keeps them after school used to be an instructional coach, and as soon as the tears started welling up in my eyes, she stopped me and simply gave me a high five.

"You're done! You survived," she said to me!

Same words I spoke to so many of our teachers who tested this week.

She saved me from a whole mess of tears. Whew!!! And thank you.

In the midst of all of this, Jay has been trying to raise money for the Walk for Diabetes (primarily because she knows a few people who suffer from this horrible affliction, and secondarily because she really wants to win a Sumo Blow-Up Outfit so she can "run into walls and stuff"), and today I realized I failed her as a mom this week.

She created her own "Go Fund Me" page specifically for this purpose on Sunday evening, and I promised her I would promote it. It's one of the few promises I have not kept with her, and I feel awful. However, I do love her sense of humor...with my whole heart.


I hate that I haven't been able to give her efforts more attention this week, and next year I vow to be a better multi-tasker.

It's 8:10 pm, and I could have put myself to bed 2 hours ago. Instead, I am going to enjoy one more glass of wine, and then I'm going to call it a night.

Thanks for reading...weeks like this are times when I remember just how therapeutic writing is to me!

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs