104/365

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

In so many ways, Jay is just like me, and in so many ways, Cee is just like her dad. We laugh about this all the time...Jay and I are introverted, solitary people, while Cee and her dad are extroverted and hate being alone. Jay and I get our fuel from the quiet, and Cee and her dad are fueled by noise and crowds. This introvert/extrovert difference drives so many of the factors of our similarities and differences.

One of the few places we are opposites on this continuum revolves around sleep. Sleep doesn't come easy for me, and Cee, my fierce competitor, prefers to resist sleep for as long as possible. On the flip side, Jay could fall asleep pretty much anywhere. This has been the case for the last 10 years!


Sisters being sisters naturally led us toward "If she can't sleep, neither can I..." (even though I knew better for Jay) and from there, the madness ensued.

For the last couple of years, bedtime has been a bit of a struggle for all three of us. It has been stressful & drawn out and sometimes leaves one (or two or three) of us in a pool of tears. Even though we never went to bed mad, it was not a great way to end our nights, and on the roughest nights, we were not getting a good, full night of sleep.

We are people who need our sleep!

One of my friends started posting a few weeks ago about how her daughter struggled with sleep, and for some reason, her posts caught my attention.

As I kept reading her posts, I realized she could consistently attribute easier bedtimes and better sleep to Peace & Calming oil. I was more than a little envious of her discovery, and last week, I decided I was ready to give it a try.

Fast forward to last Friday - my oils came in the mail! The girls were with their dad, and I waited until Sunday evening to open everything with them.

I told them about my friend's daughter and we had an honest conversation about how we were not reaching the "ideal" level when it came to our night time routine.

Just like my friend, I rubbed the Peace & Calming into my hands, gave them a foot massage, and rubbed the backs of their necks before I gave them their goodnight kisses. And guess what...

When I checked on them 10 minutes later, they were both sound asleep.

Sound. Asleep.

We talked about it Monday morning - they both agreed that it was kind of awesome to fall asleep so easily, and they both said they slept really peacefully. However, they both wondered if maybe they were just worn out from the weekend.

Monday was a long day - early to school, lots of learning, soccer practice, a late dinner and late baths...again, we did the oil thing at bedtime. They both had tons of questions: What if it doesn't work? What if I can't sleep? Can we still come wake you up? Will you still pat our backs? And guess what...

When I checked on them 10 minutes later, they were both sound asleep. Again.

Although it's only been two nights of successful bed time routine, I am sold.

They love it.

I love it.

We were all so much happier last night, and this morning was nearly fuss-free.

Bonus? Actually, there are two. First, Mae loves bedtime because she thinks of it as a time to attack my hands. She thinks it's time to play and rumble, and when I'm tired, that just doesn't work. I've rubbed her ears (with the leftover oil on my hands) for the last two nights, and I swear it calms her, too.

Second, the scent of the oil on my hands helps me fall asleep much more quickly than usual, and I think I'll be able to wean myself off of one of my sleeping pills (yes, I take TWO different pills each night - one to fall asleep and one to stay asleep!!) before too long. Hooray!

This is a big positive change for us - I went ahead and ordered more Peace & Calming last night - it shipped today, and I should have it tomorrow.

I feel like a new woman and a better mom, and the girls feel better because of their improved sleep. We are all happier after just two days, and I can't wait to see what other benefits we'll see as we get further into this!

So that's my good news...

and I'm so happy to tell you about it.

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs