Lost in Translation, and Found by a Stranger

Monday, September 15, 2014

Jay: Mom, check out this awesome thing from TED.

Shows me a picture on her phone...the following conversation ensues.

Me: Jay! How in the world do you know about Ted?

Jay: You let me watch it. All. The. Time. Sometimes you force me to watch it with you.

Me: Me?!?!?! Are you sure? When did I let you watch Ted?

Jay: Mom. I'm your kid. When did you not let me watch TED?

or

This has been our life lately (not the wishing-for-buses-to-hit-people part). We've been running around like crazy people since the school year started. We are still trying to get back into the groove of our daily school year routine, and from time to time, we have miscommunicated with each other (some of those times have been worse than others).

For instance, the other day, Jay asked, "Momma, you got some herb for me {in her world, the h is pronounced in herb}?"

My brain was in twelve places at once, and her simple request totally caught me off guard (and don't even get me started on her use of "got"). Turns out all she wanted was a Bay Leaf and a spring of Thyme to add as an embellishment to our Chicken Pot Pie.

We are all three loving our place in life right now. New position for me, new school for Cee, and STEM programming for Jay. And for the first time in about three years, I have zero assignments for grad school. Woo hoo!! As much as we love our place in the world and as much as I know we are doing exactly what we are meant to be doing, we are definitely dealing with a few growing pains as we adjust to the newness of it all.

This past weekend was perfect: cold, rainy, and a generous taste of fall (pumpkins are out, as is all other fall decor!). Cee had a soccer game, smack dab in the middle of the cold, pouring rain. Let me just say I would have been the first person to call it quits and walk off the field in that weather if I was an eleven year old. Not Cee, and not her teammates. They are some tough little cookies and they never cease to make me proud!

Here's an "after" selfie of the three of us. Soaking, cold, and oh-so-happy to be in the car with the heater on high, headed to Starbucks to defrost with hot chocolate and pumpkin spice lattes, and then to a perfectly fabulous lunch.


At the end of our perfectly fabulous lunch, our waiter looked at me and sincerely said, "M'am, your children are charming and perfectly behaved, and I have to say that you are a very blessed lady to have such an incredible family."

He was right, and his words completely made my heart sing. You never know when a perfect stranger will speak to you on a deeper level than what's on the surface and keep your soul smiling for the rest of the day...and into the next.

I just love our little life. Occasionally chaotic, typically calm, and never a dull moment.

Life is good.

Peace...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs