Birds and Turtles {Updated}

Monday, April 7, 2014

They're back! I knew for a while that our resident birds had rejoined our family, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where they'd decided to re-nest.

For the last month, every time we've walked into the front yard, there has been a bird ready and willing to swoop at us. Yesterday the girls showed me where our birds decided to nest and I'm beside myself with how quintessentially wholesome it is!

From the drive way, it looks like a normal-ish door (whose wreath desperately needs some new raffia or perhaps a new cousin bestowed in burlap).


However, upon closer inspection, they found something amazing!


I can't wait for our new little guests to hatch, and I also can't wait for the mom to stop diving at our heads whenever we walk through our front door. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our feathered friends...

I do love how the Indian stories from my dad's side of the family weave into the most unexpected places in my life.

And speaking of Indian stories, the girls and I were on the way home from a perfectly enjoyable dinner with family and friends Saturday evening when Cee announced that the three of us are all like turtles.

Before I could ask for clarification, I remembered that my dad's mom was part of the turtle clan. I know for the average person that probably sounds extremely odd. However, in Native American culture, the women are kind of the ones who carry the lineage (I'm not sure I'm explaining this entirely correctly...). My grandmother was born into the turtle clan, and so her daughters were automatically in the turtle clan, too, as are their daughters, and so on and so forth.

Basically, men get the luxury of carrying on the surname, and women get the honor of carrying on the clan name to their female descendants. If you have a piece of paper and you kind of map it out, you will see that the surnames and the clan names are a big part of what kept the elements of this culture in place so long, even as the radius of the population spread.

Back to turtles: In an ideal world, my dad would have married someone who was also a Creek Indian, and I (assuming "I" was still "me" at this point - I frequently play the "what if..." game when it comes to matters of impeccable timing), would have become part of that person's clan, which would not have been the turtle clan because that would be considered second worse to being inbred.

Which I am not.

Since my dad married a gringo non-Indian instead, then I kind of missed out on the clan-age fun. Therefore, I am sort of considered part of the turtle clan (almost entirely by default because possibly nobody was sure where to place me, and my sweet aunts and grandmother probably sighed and said, "Okay, fine, she can be a turtle...").

Why does all of this matter?

Because Cee posed the possibility that we are all three like turtles...

In what way? I asked on our drive home from that fabulous dinner.

Well, you and Jay are mostly the real turtles of the family because you both are totally comfortable in your own shells. Sometimes you like to stick your head, hands, and feet out to see what's going on in the world around you and scratch around for a little bit, but most of the time you could just be tucked all cozy inside of your shell with a good book or a good movie or staying away from drama and conflict because you two don't like drama and conflict, she explained.

Seriously - a nearly spot on assessment of Jay and me as compared to introverted turtles.

What about you? I asked.

Me? I don't even need a shell! I'm all, 'No shells here!! The more, the merrier!! Let's have some fun, old friends! Let's have some fun, new friends! Hey, new friends - did you meet old friends?' I get out in the world with no shell on my back and usually I'm moving so fast, the rest of the world is going at turtle speed alll around me.

Seriously (again) - a nearly spot on assessment of her extroverted nature compared to our introverted natures from the perspective of turtle-speak. Obviously you can tell she's comfortable in her own "shell," too!

It isn't at all unusual for people to compare her level of energy to that of the Energizer bunny, and don't even get me started on the allegory of the Hare and the Tortoise.

We were absolutely in stitches during her assessment of our personalities! Five minutes later, I realized the laughter had subsided. I looked in the backseat and they were both sound asleep.



Love those sweet girls.

And I love birds and turtles.

(And rabbits.)

Peace...

Updated - April 8, 2014, 8:49 pm
Spoiler Alert: Things don't necessarily end well...

In a tragic change of events, it turns out I'm almost as grateful for two speckled eggs as I was for four. After hearing an alarming thunk against my front door, I dashed to the front of my house and opened the door. The scene on the ground and the flash of white fur darting away told me all I needed to know.

I imagine this is kind of how Florida and Wisconsin felt after Saturday's games.

This. Is. Why. I. Am. Not. A. Fan. Of. Cats.
(This, plus the fact that Cee is crazy allergic to them.)

Le sigh majeure. 


No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs