Five Things

Monday, March 3, 2014

A few years ago, I was introduced to the concept of NanoWriMo which takes place each November. The goal is to write a novel in a month. I've tried it several times before, and I've never finished it...I swear I will some day, though!

BlogHer started something similar that seems much more attainable - it's called NaBloPoMo, and I guess I'm going to give it a try. I've been kind of a lackluster blogger lately, and maybe this is the spark I need to get going again.

Today's prompt is to write five interesting things about yourself. I've never been good at these things, but here we go!

1. I am happier in life right now than I think I've ever been as an adult. I know usually when you hear people tell you how happy they are, you instantly doubt the validity of their message. Don't let that be the case here - it is just the simple truth! I love my girls - they are amazing and they are forging incredible paths for themselves. From basketball to grades, from soccer to jump rope, from DI to friendships, they make me prouder and prouder with each passing day. I love my job - I have wonderful coworkers, great students, and the best role models. I love my friends - love, love, love them. I love my home (finally!). I guess to simplify things, I've finally realized what it means to be blissfully content with where you are in your life. It's a pretty fantastic feeling!

2. I love my dog, and I love taking pictures of him. I took this one on Thursday night before I went to bed.


I think I have passed along my love of taking his picture to Jay. She took this picture of him yesterday, and it really shows her perspective. Actually, while she was holding my phone, she kept saying, "Want some food, boy? Want some food?" Miraculously, "food" is the one word in his entire vocabulary that hasn't been wiped away by his selective deafness. Go figure.


3. My childhood was not all peaches and cream. It was rough...really, really rough on many different levels, and there are only a very small handful of people who know the full details. I don't mean rough like I didn't get the Cole Hahn boots I drooled over for months or that I was told no too often.

I'm talking about the kind of rough that leaves scars that won't ever fully heal. I know it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to let the past be the past and to stop dwelling on it. But it's not that easy for me. There are some things that happen in your life that grow roots so deep inside of you that they eventually become part of your fabric. Writing has helped me through some truly difficult times, and I hope some day I am able to write about the early chapters of my life. Right now, though, it's just not something I'm ready to do yet. Someday...maybe...

4. Because of everything in #3, I've learned the value of making lemonade from lemons. Before I ever realistically considered what kind of mom I would be, I knew one thing for sure: I would be the mom who broke the cycle of everything I grew up with, the mom who showed her children what it meant to empathize, the mom who taught her children to respect themselves and to set high expectations for themselves.

Before I realistically considered what kind of teacher I would be, I knew one thing for sure: I would be the teacher who kept her eyes and ears open and noticed when things seemed "off" with a kid, even if just a little off...because when things seem off and you follow your gut, you might find that you're able to help a kid who doesn't know where to begin to start helping themselves. Every kid has a voice and story; sometimes they just need somebody who's willing to ask if everything is okay or if they need to talk.

5. Although I sort of loved the Sochi Olympics, I didn't love that the Olympics made The Tonight Show start at 11 instead of 10:30 for a whole entire week. There is a gigantic time warp that happens in those 30 precious minutes. I was super happy last week when I could finally watch Jimmy Fallon from 10:30-11:30. It's the little things, y'all.

And I am off the charts giddy about the rain that I can hear bouncing off of my roof right now and the temperatures that are diving into the freezing range. Delayed start tomorrow means we get a couple of extra hours of sleep - I don't think there's anybody who could complain about that!

Sorry if this post was too much or too deep or too whatever else. I've been wanting to write about #3 for awhile, but I am just not ready to take the full plunge. Maybe this type of writing is the same as dipping your toes into a cold pool. It stings at first, but after awhile, it isn't quite as bad...

Maybe.

Oh my gosh, Tina Fey is going to be on the set with Jimmy Fallon soon!! So...that's all I've got for now. Peace...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs