V-Day

Saturday, February 15, 2014

V-Day, although entirely a Hallmark holiday, can seriously be the pits for the unattached in a way that I can't even begin to try to explain. I love it for Cee and Jay, but for me? Just blah. Blah, blah, blah. That's what I told myself over and over as I got ready yesterday morning. Blah, blah, blah.

Jen Hatmaker had a sweet Valentine for all those who don't have a Valentine of their own. Jenny Lawson also offered up some V-Day love, of which I was particularly fond.

I sent the girls off to school yesterday bedazzled from head to toe in various shades of pink, armed with a dozen Mason jars filled with candy and ribbons (and plenty of love) for their teachers, a couple of gallons of ice cream for parties, and at least a pound of candy each for them to share with their classmates.

You're welcome, other parents. Why do we do this to each other year after year? We know better...



Before nine yesterday morning, I had a small pile of candy on my desk and had been shyly asked by an adorable twelve year old if I would be his Valentine ("Of course I will. Happy Valentine's Day, Valentine!"). By the end of the day, my loot had grown to a respectable height, and by the time I got home, both girls were sugar-laden...and crashing (aka "the fun part").

They both looked deliriously adorable with giant kissy lips on their cheeks (courtesy of their P.E. teacher who, for as long as I can remember, has delivered Valentine cheek kisses to any kid who wants one). Apparently, she has an endless stock of red lipstick especially for the occasion, the line for a single cheek smooch is forever long, and every kid walks away grinning from ear to ear because they know this lady cares for them like crazy.

This is precisely what I love about small town life...we're still small enough that it's okay for a kid to ask his teacher to be his Valentine, it's still okay for one of the sweetest ladies in the world to kiss the cheeks of all her babies (whether their cheeks are sparkling clean, laced with a hardly-noticeable streak of blush {ahem, fifth grade girls...}, or a couple of days not-so-clean), and if your sub cancels on you an hour before it's your turn at jury duty, the court clerk still smiles through the phone and tells you she'll just mark you as excused right before she thanks you for teaching "our" kids and wishes you a wonderful day (true story).

And right after you get home with your youngest on Valentine's night (after dropping your oldest off with her grandparents for the weekend), you catch a picture of true, deep-souled, kindred spirit love.


That's when I began to realize that maybe this isn't such a horrible "made-up" holiday after all. Even if it isn't founded on anything in particular, it was seriously cool to see so many smiling, happy faces yesterday.

When I asked Jay what she loved the most about her day, she said, "Oh!! Hold on. I almost forgot something!!"

And she scampered off to her room, and quickly returned with this note to from her best little friend (who I already love to pieces - but she scored a zillion bonus points in my book after I read what she wrote):


And yes, that's a chunk of chocolate frosting on the right side.

When I say my girls have wonderful friends, this is precisely what I mean. Incredible, thoughtful, caring, well-spoken (and off-the-charts funny) little ladies!!

I'm going to have have to remind myself to come back to this post on February 13, 2015, so I can remember that Valentine's Day is all about perspective, and a positive perspective is the best approach.

I hope your Valentine's Day was wonderful, and I hope someone brought a smile to your face just like so many did to mine.

Peace.

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs