It's Whirlwind Season

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Yesterday I realized I was officially a part of the ranks of "Whirlwind Season."

I didn't even realize it until it smacked me in the face.

I always dreaded the part of parenthood where one kid is doing this, the other kid is doing that, and then the first kid is also doing the other thing, and somewhere in between, parents have lives to maintain at some level beyond mediocrity.

Guess what. It's here. I imagine this is similar to how you prepare for disaster: you have no earthly idea what it's going to be like, you are armed with all requisite supplies, you baton down your hatches and you are ready for it when it arrives (whether intentionally or otherwise); by the time it actually hits, you're too busy to notice because you're readying your family for another round.

We made a chalkboard door a couple of months ago, and since its inception, it has hosted two birthday wish lists, two Christmas lists, and a bevy of grocery requests. It was meant to be a unifying piece of our home.

However, when I looked at it this afternoon, I had a mini-episode of realizing, "It happened. I'm the mom going 3 different directions all at once. And I survived round one!"


I love the way we were able to ease our way into a busy weekend. On Thursday, Jay and I took a stroll through St. Edwards University on our way to see Cee's jump rope performance. Jay had plenty of questions about how classes work, how dorms work, how much time you have to get ready, how parties work, and what happens if you don't feel good on a day you have class. On one hand, I was giddy to have this conversation with my nine year old, and on the other hand, a tiny part of me was protesting the fact that she is not going to live with me one day.


I may or may not have secretly plotted ways to keep her home for longer than necessary.

Cee had a great time that night...braiding her friends' hair and being a part of a truly fabulous Jump Rope performance with her team. Hats off to the coaches for all their hard work with these kids!!!


I am so happy that 3/4 of the grandparents were able to be a part of this weekend...it was a busy one! Jay's last basketball game of the season was yesterday. Before her game started, she told me she was kind of sad because it was the last game and she hadn't scored any points yet. I told her there was only one way to fix that, and she smiled her fabulous smile at me. Then she played her heart out, scored two baskets, and sunk a free throw. Way to go, little one!!!


Cee had her first Destination Imagination competition after Jay's game, and her little troupe was just adorable. She was really nervous, but the huge fan base of family and friends helped. In the end, her team ended up earning 2nd place plus a Renaissance Award (bonus points for exceptional preparation, teamwork, creativity, design, and performance). To say she was excited is a major understatement! Her team will advance to State, and they will be working hard for the next six weeks to perfect their performance.


To finish things off, Cee played an indoor game this morning. I was too tired to get any pics of her playing, but I did get a cute shot of Jay and my handsome & fabulous nephews taking advantage of having lots of grandparents on their sweet tooth side...


I'm so glad my dad was able to make it down this weekend. I hadn't seen him since his heart attack in September. He looked better than ever, and I am inspired by how healthy he's getting. His stories are just the best, he always spoils us, and all three of us fight back tears each time we tell him goodbye.

We are at the "T Minus 10 School Days and Counting" mark for Spring Break. I can't wait for a week of much-needed R&R.

Seriously can't wait.

Peace (and sweet dreams)...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs