Giving Hearts

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

"Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give." 
~Eleanor Roosevelt

This was the first Christmas where the girls were more into finding and giving the perfect gifts than getting them, and oh my goodness - it made this year a seriously wonderful holiday to experience! 

Don't get me wrong. We've definitely had our moments of  watching too much TV...


But those moments have been leveled off with Jay inventing our favorite playlists...


Mixed in with a few tears of sheer exhaustion...


Counterbalanced by some fabulous sister secrets...


And sprinkled with the news of a new little guy who will soon be a huge part of our lives!


In in the midst of all of the hustle and bustle, I officially received four of my five most favorite gifts ever. In addition to last year's ornament (number 5), this year I received the most perfectly homemade ornament from Jay, a Paul Frank ornament and a coffee mug wearing a green sweater (to stay warm, obviously) from both girls, and a ridiculously soft and cozy Vera Bradley blanket of my very own...from Cee.



 

Melt. My. Heart.

We have spent as much time as possible outside during the past week. The weather has been perfect December weather (for Texas), and we got a little SoundFreaq friend who has changed our world for the better. No longer do we look like those odd people who walk around with their music blaring out of their front pockets as if they're some sort of walking, self-programmed, mobile juke box robot (no offense if that's you). Nope - now we have good sound where ever we go, and I have to say this innovation is a wonderful thing!

Long breaks with the girls (15 days together!) are just plain good for my soul, and I think they're good for their sweet souls, too.

However, I can't disregard the fact that I have seen tons of negativity and complaining on FaceBook this season, and I'm not even talking about the Duck Dynasty debacle or any of the other "news-y issues" that have happened in the last week. I'm talking about down right complain-y stuff that just makes me want to hide people's posts from my news feed.

And I hate that, because it goes directly against the grain of my personal happiness initiative.

Christmas pictures? Love 'em. Family photos? Warm my heart. Sweet holiday expressions? I'm a sucker for those, too. Desperate, gloomy Gus negativity? During the most wonderful time of the year? Not really my thing at all.

If there is one thing I have learned over the course of the last five years, it's that each of us are in charge of creating our own happiness. Everyone faces their own demons on at least a daily basis, and it is absolutely up to each of us as to how we choose to a) deal with those obstacles and b) react to those obstacles.

For me and my girls, we choose happiness each and every day. Our glass is half full, not half empty. Each day is full of possibilities and great challenges, not full of roadblocks or obstacles. Each of our relationships with others are full of blessings and love, not full of shortcomings or should have/could haves. We are lucky to encounter a community full of a few incredible friends, not a world full of enemies.

I hope that you and your families had a wonderful and blessed Christmas, and I hope that you and your loved ones are planning to ring in the New Year with full hearts, open eyes, and loving minds.

Here's to a fulfilling 2013 and a 2014 that is full of prosperity!

With these two by my side, I can't imagine welcoming the New Year in any other way!


Happy Holidays, and Happy 2014...

Peace!

3 comments :

deeps said...

what a way to march to the year 2014 :)
cheers

Mama O. said...

Okay, just had to go back to my Facebook posts to make sure this wasn't me. And it wasn't. I've been very jolly this holiday season. Not as jolly as I am today. Because everyone went back to school/work. Heart you!

it's just me... said...

Nope, not you, my dear. It was a hodge podge of people from here and there...just enough to be noticeable. Never you - you always make me smile!!! Glad we got to chat today!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs