overwhelmed

Saturday, September 7, 2013

here's what's happening right now, and i'm not even kidding you. it's almost too good to be true.

it's raining outside while the sun is shining. the huge claps of thunder are interrupted by quick bursts of lightning. college football is on, i have a full glass of wine, and my screen door is letting the yummy smell of rain drift into my living room. the whole scenario is crazy awesome.


this sensory overload is the perfect way to sum up my entire week.

my dad was here for a visit last weekend, and it was so good to catch up and to have him here. he left late sunday afternoon and sent me a text at 12:27 am to let me know he made it home. twelve hours after that, he sent me another text telling me to take it easy for labor day and that he was about to mow the yard.

just before i went to bed monday night, my little sisters called me to let me know they were on their way to the hospital because my dad had a heart attack after his six-mile run.

panic immediately ensued, and my world was turned upside down until i got a text from him the next morning telling me the worst part was behind us. after undergoing surgery and spending three days in the hospital, i'm happy to tell you he has been home since thursday and is on the mend!

i'm all about silver linings, so i thought i'd share a few with you.

i am so glad this happened when he was safely back at home instead of a few hours earlier when he was making the 8-hour trek from texas back to oklahoma. i am so thankful for the quality time we had with him last weekend. i have incredibly supportive friends who kept tabs on me this week. i have a wonderful group of students who, even though they didn't know what i had going on, were so good for me in class this week.

and most of all, i had these cuties to give me a solid sense of perspective over the last five days.

please note that cee is on her tip toes and is passive 
aggressively standing on jay's foot so jay cannot 
stand on her toes. being the tallest matters.

if you're someone i see on a regular basis and i didn't tell you about my dad, it's simply because i have the emotional maturity of a five year old when it comes to things like this. talking about it while remaining cool, calm, and collected was a monumental task for me last week, and although i'm still not ready to talk about it, i'm much better now.

so is he.

alright, we've had rain delays for the red raiders and the longhorns, but the sooners are busy doing their thing. my dad should be there holding his sound thingy for fox sports tonight, but instead he's watching a home game from home for maybe the first time in five years. he'll be back out there soon enough, and i'm glad he gets to watch and rest tonight.

peace...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs