the moderate elation of a yard slacker

Thursday, August 22, 2013

the stunning first glimpses of fall have been in the air for the last few mornings, and over the weekend, the girls and i decided to plant a few fall flowers to honor it's impending arrival.

somewhere along the way, we ended up with a c-tree and a j-tree (sort of because we have two trees, but mostly because sharing has become an unfamiliar concept to them at this point in the summer). the flowers they planted really do brighten my day, and it was so sweet to watch them not fight or argue for twenty whole minutes tend to the transplanting process.



but more importantly, we have something big to celebrate. i'm sure you could hardly notice from the focal point of the pictures, but my yard is almost completely dead. finally!! i have been waiting patiently for this to happen since approximately february 24th (that's 179 days, folks).

some people love yard work. i am not one of those people. i am the person who, by this point in the summer, waits for the letter from my hoa as my 'time to mow the yard' gage because that's exactly how much i hate yard maintenance, and also because fire ants love to use my feet and legs for their tactical ambush training while i'm doing yard work. they seek me out, they hunt me down, and then they hurt me. i'm not even kidding you.

so over the weekend when i got my friendly letter from the lovely and endearing people at the hoa, i realized my yard was generally dead. aside from those few pesky weeds who refuse to give in to the drought and have their best performance of the year while everything else withers in the oppressive, menacing heat of august in texas, mowing was pretty close to a breeze.

i hate that a dead yard brings me so much happiness, but during the regular growing season, i always keep my fingers crossed for the entire crop of it to die as soon as possible so i don't have to cringe each time i check my mail.

i will never have the perfectly manicured yard that my two across the street neighbors have, partially by my own choice and partially because i am okay with not excelling in the yard department.

but i can concede that after spending nearly the whole entire day outside working on what's ours, it was nice to see the girls cruise around on their bikes and make each other (and me) laugh.


school started back this week, and with it came a rather unpleasant bout of insomnia. on sunday, monday, and tuesday, i was lucky to reach 3 hours of good sleep each night. last night i did better. as a creature of habit, it has been so nice to get back into my normal routine. i'm sorry i went a couple of days over my 'write at least once a week' goal...hopefully i can get back on track with the soup like i did with my sleep. only time will tell.

peace...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs