a solid sense of smell

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

i've been bogged down by allergies for the past few days, and i didn't realize - until 3:15 this morning - that at some point over the last few days, i'd temporarily lost my sense of smell.

the only way i knew it was back was when i woke up to the ever-so-faint stench of skunk. at 3:15. a.m. for someone who is highly dependent on 8+ solid hours of sleep, this did not seem to be a good thing.


my mind started racing, and i did what any logical person would do. i googled skunk smell in my house.


as you can probably deduce, this was not the best idea i've ever had. true to its astounding track record in my life, in a matter of seconds, google had me worrying about things i didn't even know existed.

aside from the obvious fact that i was fully aware there was no skunk in my house, google informed me that my house might have been commandeered by ants...in the walls. and carpenter ants are possibly eating my house from the inside out. google also said it could be my air conditioner turbine burning or the coils of my air conditioner overheating. i didn't even know i had a turbine or coils, better yet the air conditioner ones. google continued to soothe me by indicating that it might be the onset of an electrical fire in my attic. and then i wondered on my own if my house has a carbon monoxide detector. and is it really an odorless gas? google and its various threads thought i should definitely call 9-1-1.

these are not good things to worry about or decide on at 3:30 in the morning. i briefly pondered calling 9-1-1, but i'm fairly certain i'm already on their idiot watch list, so i decided to take a benadryl and i finally drifted back into a light sleep.

i was more than pleasantly surprised when i woke up (alive!!) at 7:30 9:00 to find not only that the smell was gone, but it was pleasant enough outside that i could leave the windows and screen door open for awhile...just in case.

i'm happy to report that things are back to normal and my house smells like our home again.


we can all breathe a clean, collective sigh of relief!

and we can all look forward to a restful night's sleep filled with very pleasant things.

peace...

disclaimer: the girls were with their dad last night. if they'd been here, i would have called 9-1-1, idiot watch list or not, and been much more proactive in making sure we were all okay. i promise!

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs