things you didn't know you didn't know

Friday, June 8, 2012

my weekly reading for grad school started with this:


and all i have been able to think about for the last ten (scratch that) twenty-two (scratch that, too) thirty-eight minutes is 'i didn't even know lithuania had proverbs. what else do they have that i don't know about? do they believe in complete sentences (because that proverb isn't well constructed unless you're yoda)? is this sort of like an-eye-for-an-eye, a-tooth-for-a-tooth? and where is lithuania?'

this is where my mind gets the best of me and procrastination wins.

every.
single.
time.

lithuania is actually part of the baltic states in northern europe (something else i didn't know).

79% of its population is roman catholic (another tidbit i didn't know). but to me, this is the beginning of the explanation as to why there are lithuanian proverbs.

in general, men live to be 70.7 years old and women live to be 80.7 years old. they have the highest homicide rate in the eu (i wonder if women are the homicide culprits and that's why they live 10 years longer...in prison?).

also - i'm no greek (or latin?) expert, but based on the word 'homosapien', shouldn't it be 'homocide' instead of 'homicide'? 

the infant mortality rate is 6.2 per 1,000 births (maybe this will be a trivia question one day).

now i finally understand why it takes me twice as long to complete my assignments as it should and why, despite my best intentions, my word document looks like this (after 45 minutes). and suddenly i have a new appreciation for my kids who sit in class and don't do their work...they're just inquisitive.



so many questions, so little time, and so much more to do.

peace and random ponderings...

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs