broken

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

my mom always told me, 'if you love someone, set them free. if they come back, they're yours forever.' i'm like the bird that gets set free. i'd have to say i'm like a canary. i think that's why my mom always sets me free, and now it's time for me to come back to her. i feel like one of these days she'll want to keep me.

this was a part of my conversation with a girl who i promised myself i'd watch over at beginning of this school year. she's twelve, and she's been through more in her life than i can possibly imagine.

monday was the ultimate of mondays for her, and for me, too (not that this is really about me at all). some of the things she shared with me are still whirling around my head, and i still haven't forced myself to take the time to sit down and sort through them because i'm scared that i won't be able to organize any of it very well.

she has endured more in twelve years than most people will endure in a lifetime.

and it's supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year right now.

in the last three days, that claim has suddenly become very situationally relative to me: the holidays aren't happy for everyone.

my least favorite part of teaching is seeing kids - children - who have been damaged by adults. unfortunately, the holidays unveil the darker sides in lots of people, and as a teacher i see that kids are ultimately the ones who suffer the most.

if the saying is true...life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath today...then i think i've had my share of breath-taking moments for the week.

and it's only wednesday.

count your blessings and hug your loved ones...

true story.

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs