worms. everywhere.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

as a teacher, some things strike a chord with me more than others... especially when those things have to do with kids (as they often do in the business of teaching). today was one of those chord-striking kind of days.

the things that kids in my class...and our society...deal with these days seriously amaze me. middle school is that time of my life where you couldn't pay me enough money to do it over again. it's awkward and difficult and transitory...thankfully, it's ephemeral.

i had a kid who got in trouble in my class today and normally this kid isn't the type who would ever, ever get in trouble. as a friend of mine says, 'it's middle school. pretty much all bets are off with predicting their behavior.'

oh, so true.

when school was over, i decided to call home just to make sure the parents were aware of what was going on in class...and to make sure the correct story made it home (shockingly, the reality version isn't always the one that makes it home). parents are typically pretty fabulous about supporting us and if they have a talk with their kid, the next day things are usually infinitely better.

but this wasn't the average phone call home.

sometimes when you call home, you end up opening a can of worms that can't really be closed. today, i accidentally opened a huge can of worms. every question or comment i asked or made ended up creating additional worm holes in the already-gaping can, and the next thing i knew, they were everywhere.

every. where.

if you remember my squirrel fishing extravaganza from this summer, you already know that i really don't like worms in a literal or figurative sense.

it's been four hours since the great worm explosion of 2011, and i have managed to contain the worms in that time, but that's primarily because i'm from the 'supress, don't express' school of repressive thought.

things will be fine, but i am pretty sure this kid needs a huge hug tomorrow for all of the situations they have going on at home.

everything in my life was quickly put into perfect perspective, and i was once again reminded that i'm lucky and blessed and all the other good stuff that goes along with my pollyanna take on life.

sorry to be a downer...here's a little something to make you smile.

dear ms. davis,

 i want to be very clear on my child’s illustration. it is not of me on a dance pole on a stage in a strip joint. I work at home depot and had commented to my daughter how much money we made in the recent snowstorm. this photo is of me selling a shovel.

mrs. harrington



peace. :)

No comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs